Telemarketing is not as easy as it looks! You may think picking up the phone and making a call is easy but there’s a lot more to it than that. Essentially, it involves talking on the phone to someone you do not know – someone who may not welcome you as they realise you’re a “cold caller” – who is trying to convince them to buy a product or use a service they may have no previous knowledge of.
Frequently, telemarketers fail because they simply do not have the right traits to perform this challenging yet rewarding role. When recruiting your telemarketing team, it is important to look for those who possess the key traits that will make them a great addition to your existing workforce.
So what exactly should we look for when recruiting a telemarketer?
1) Clear/professional phone manner – Without this, nothing else really matters.
2) Adaptability – Flexibility is essential when selling different products/services and the range of contacts you’ll be asking them to speak with.
3) Motivation – Successful telemarketers are very motivated to do the job
4) Listening skills – It’s not about what you want to sell, it’s about what the customer wants to buy, and adapting on the fly as the call progresses.
5) Aptitude – Is needed to grasp product knowledge and interact with decision makers at the required level.
6) Enthusiasm – Cheerful and passionate traits are key, not to be confused with pushy.
7) Empathy – Must be able to identify with the contact.
8) Confidence – They need be self-assured and have confidence in what is being presented.
9) Persistence – another no takes you closer to a yes.
10) Resilience – must be able to cope with knock back after knock back
At VST we recruit from a diverse range of backgrounds. Specific telemarketing experience is not necessary; however life and business experience is essential.
To find out more about working for VST click here